An early 1800's Welsh Rushlight standing on it's original oak base, stem and arm are square section with a rolled candle socket. The jaws are secured by a small rivet a feature of Radnorshire. The small internal diameter of the candle socket suggest it was used for home dipped candles or small moulded candles.
It belonged to The Lewis family for several generations, they lived at Cwyrychan Farm, Pent-y-dwr, Rhayder and it was used by the family to light the farm up until the 1930's. They used locally grown rushes dipped in pig fat.
It measures 25cm h x 11.5cm w.