This is a one off piece made by Lady Gertrude Molyneux, who went on to become the !st chief commandant of women's RAF.
Before the first World War Lady Gertrude, like her father and grandfather practised ornamental turning at Croxteth Hall, west Derby, Liverpool. She continued her love of turning after she got married and won awards from 'The Worship Company of Turners'.
This piece is made from lignum vitae with wonderful turning, the top lifts up to put ribbon/tape/string inside.It was exhibited by Lady Gertrude at Leighton House, Holland Park, and the card inviting people to the exhibition comes with this piece.
The piece dates from late 1800's/early 1900's.
It measures 9cm w x 4cm h x 7cm d